Happy Halloween!

Halloween used to be one of my least favorite holidays, but recently, I've been loving it more and more.  Today should only add to my growing fondness towards the holiday. The plan: after handing out candy to neighborhood kids, my roommates and I are dressing up as the cast of Scooby Doo and going to a party at the Standard. I was a little late on getting my costume together (I'm Daphne), but it is finally getting there! I decided against dyeing my hair bright orange, not without much insistence from the rest of my housemates (thanks guys). I will have many pictures to post after tonight, but for now I wanted to share a few of my favorite halloween costumes from the past.

1) Age 3, a cat
My mom might disagree that this should be on my 'favorite' list. Let me explain--after weeks of preparing to be a puppy dog, I decided at the very last minute that I absolutely hated that stupid dog costume and needed to be something different. Thank goodness my mom was by this time used to my incessant stubbornness and had a back up plan ready. Lo and behold, I dressed up as a kitty cat (not just any cat, family member Doodles to be specific). Meow.

2) Ages 8-9 - group costumes with Virginia
Sometimes little kids dress up as really adorable things (my cat costume was pretty cute, let's be honest). Other times little kids, when left to their own devices after years of being socially isolated home schooled, decide to dress as TVs or trees. We did both. At age 8, we cut out holes in a cardboard box for our arms and legs, glued on screenshots from I Love Lucy, and wore antennae-headbands. At age 9, we wore matching brown slip dresses, foam cutouts for our heads decorated green with leaves, and were attached at the waist by a clothes line (baby clothes hanging between us). Needless to say, we got a ton of attention for our--ahem--creativity from all of the neighborhood houses. "This is so... original" was the biggest compliment, most likely because we were too young to fully comprehend sarcasm. (You have no idea how much I wish I had a picture to show you--words don't do these costumes justice.)

3) Age 20, Audrey Hepburn
If you don't know, I love Audrey Hepburn. As in, me saying that she is my idol would be a huge understatement. Friends quickly learn that telling me I resemble Audrey is the greatest of compliments to me (as in tell me this and I'll love you forever). You can only imagine how thrilled I was all night to be constantly told "you really do look like her!" While lacking the originality of a TV/tree, this costume made for a very happy girl in pearls.

Hopefully I can add my rendition of Daphne to the list after tonight. Until then, I hope everyone has a safe and happy halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment