Grilled tempeh with honey soy glaze

One of the hardest challenges I've faced in my recovery is relearning how to eat like a "normal" person. When I was gaining weight, I was on a strict meal plan, but after that, I was left to my own devices which basically meant I grazed on snacks when I was bored hungry. Nutritionists tend to think that I need significantly more protein in my veggie diet, so I've been working very diligently to make this happen.

Result? I've been eating a LOT of tempeh. Like, a lot. I have always been a fan of tofu, but tempeh is a step above. I know some people complain about its nutty taste, but I personally love the taste and texture (not to mention how it is so easy to adapt to different recipes). One of my favorite ways to prepare tempeh is with a honey soy glaze that is spicy and sweet and oh so delicious.

Cut tempeh into thin pieces and grill on medium high height with sesame seed oil (olive oil also works).
 In the meantime, make the marinade using the following ingredients:



Mix 2 tbsp sesame seed oil and 2 tbsp soy sauce. Add 1 tsp honey (substitute with agave or maple syrup if preferred), ginger and cayenne pepper to taste (the more cayenne pepper the bigger the kick!). Once the tempeh has grilled to be golden on both sides, add the marinade and let cook until the tempeh is brown with yummy sauce!


I like to eat this with cous cous and brocoli. And voila-- a deliciously well balanced meal with OODLES of protein (you're welcome, doctors!).

No comments:

Post a Comment