Inspirations

1. Family Affairs
My lack of recent updates can be explained by the fact that, as of January 2, I have a full-time job (!!). I am actually working at my dad’s company, which has been amazing so far. I really believe that, in modern day America, working with family is unbelievably underrated. Two days ago, I walked into the office to find out that my grandmother was in the hospital (she is doing okay now). I immediately was in the arms of my dad, telling me that we’ll take the rest of the day off to see her. The next day at work everyone asked me how she was doing and wanted to make sure that I sent her their love (both of my grandparents worked at the business for years!). I have never realized just how special it is to interact with family on this level, and I am so glad that I have the opportunity to do so now.


2. Chinese New Year
The Chinese New Year is coming up (February 10th this year!). I’ll admit it—this may be the first year that I’ve even known the date of the holiday, but I am trying to make up for my cultural ignorance by learning about the celebration this year. I was given the job at my office to pick out some gifts and have found myself in awe of how beautiful some of the statues and trinkets are. 2013 is the year of the snake, the water snake to be exact. I recently learned that I was born in the year of the metal horse and am learning more about what that means. Since I live just a few blocks away from LA’s Chinatown, I am going to try my best to get down there on the 10th. Exposure to different cultures is one of LA’s huge draws and something that I’m vowing to do more of in the upcoming year.

 

3. Childhood dreams realized
For Christmas, my wonderful boyfriend bought me two tickets to see my favorite childhood musical—Peter Pan! As a kid, I used to watch the live-stage version with Cathy Rigby at least once a week. She is reviving the role at the Pantages, and we are going to see it tonight. When he originally gave me the tickets I was absolutely giddy, and I still can’t believe that I’ll really be seeing it live! The BF is slightly skeptical as to a 60-year-old woman pulling off the part of a little boy, but I have been reassuring him that Cathy Rigby can do anything.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment