My Recovery Playlist

For awhile during my recovery, I was driving 4+ hours a day to get to and from treatment. The drive ended up being a good thing, as it lended ample time for me to process through my thoughts, discoveries, and experiences. I don't know about you, but my self-discovery is never as fun (or as productive!) without a good soundtrack. Music has always been important to me as both a musician and a listener, and during recovery, this love only intensified. So I'm sharing with you some of the songs that got me through my car rides and saved me from my own thoughts. Listen and enjoy!

1. I Don’t Blame You – Cat Power
Just because they knew your name
Doesn’t mean they know from where you came
What a sad trick you thought that you had to play
But I don’t blame you

2. Unplayed Piano – Damien Rice & Lisa Hannigan
Maybe it’s not that easy and maybe it’s not that hard
Maybe they could release me, let the people decide
I’ve got nothing to hide
I’eve done nothing wrong
So why’ve I been here so long?

3. Save Me – Aimee Mann
I can tell you know what it’s like
A long farewell of the hunger strike
But can you save me? Come on and save me
If you could save me from the ranks of the freaks
Who suspect they could never love anyone.

4. Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Soon) – The Decemberists
Look for me with the sun-bright sparrow
I will come on the breath of the wind.

5. Golden Slumbers – The Beatles
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Once there was a way to get back home
Sleep pretty darling, do not cry
And I will sing a lullaby


6. Reasons to Fall – Lauren Hoffman
The mystery’s calling so come if you dare
And find what is there when you tear down the walls
No, you’re going to wait until the moment is certain
While I’ve been out searching for reasons to fall


7. June on the West Coast – Bright Eyes
Pain it gets so heavy and joy it tends to hold you
For the fear that it eventually departs
But the truth is I’ve been dreaming of some tired tranquil place
Where the weather won’t get stuck inside my bones
And if all the years of searching I find one sympathetic face
Then it’s there I’ll plant these seeds and make my home


8. Dog Days are Over – Florence and the Machine
Happiness it hit her like a train on a track
Coming towards her stuck still no turning back
She hid around corners and she hid under beds S
he killed it with kisses and from it she fled

9. Blood – The Middle East
Grandfather, weary soul, you’ll flyover your life once more before you die
Since our grandma passed away you’ve waited for forever and a day
Just to die, and someday soon, you will die


10. Landed – Ben Folds Five
I opened my eyes and walked out the door
And the clouds came tumbling down
And it’s “bye-bye, goodbye, I tried.”


11. (Looking for) The Heart of Saturday Night – Tom Waits
Then you comb your hair, shave your face
Tryin’ to wipe out ev’ry trace
All the other days in the week you know that this’ll be the Saturday
You’re reaching your peak

4 comments: